JCCUD’s first priority is the safety of our customers and the communities we serve.  Because natural gas is odorless, a harmless chemical called mercaptan, an odor that smells like rotten eggs is added to help detect even the smallest leaks should they ever occur. 

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas which is produced by burning gasoline, wood, propane, natural gas, charcoal and other fuels. Since carbon monoxide is produced as a by-product, it does not have any odorant added to help detect it.  Therefore, one will not realize by smell or sight that excessive levels of CO are present.  A CO detector is the best way to alert you at high levels.

carbon monoxide warning sign
carbon monoxide detector

Know the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning.  At moderate levels, you or your family can get severe headaches, become dizzy, mentally confused, nauseated or faint.  Low levels can cause shortness of breath, mild nausea and mild headaches that may have long term effects on your health.  The warning signs of CO poisoning can be subtle.  But the condition is a life-threatening medical emergency.  If you think you or someone you’re with may have carbon monoxide poisoning, get into fresh air and seek emergency medical care.

If you smell the odor of natural or propane gas, leave the area immediately and call 911 or JCCUD 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at (423) 623-3069 or (865) 475-7911.